Our mission statement: The Redwood City Public Library inspires learning through innovative and visionary programming and services—literacy programs, support for school success, access to technology, safe, inviting spaces for youth and families, and gathering places that connect the members of the community with a love of reading and learning.
Libraries should be considered “indoor parks” with many learning, cultural, and recreational activities for all ages, incomes, and cultures, and a primary way of helping to build community by promoting community participation and volunteerism.
The Library Board consists of seven members, appointed by the City Council for terms of four years each.
Lisa Hicks- Dumanske
Your Redwood City libraries by the numbers (2015-16 fiscal year)
- Over 1.1 million items borrowed, including over 621,000 children’s items
- Over 841,000 annual visits
- Over 193,000 people attended over 11,000 library programs, including attendance of 177,000 children and family members at over 9600 children’s programs
- Over 123,000 volunteer hours worked by community members of all ages
- Over 58,000 active library card holders
- Over 108,000 uses of public computers
- Over 709,000 logins to our wireless network
- Over 183,000 website visits
- Over 90,000 eBooks checked out
- Over 16,500 books added to the collection
- Over 1100 community meetings held in Library meeting rooms
- Over 1000 adult learners received instruction from Project READ tutors and met at least one of their individual learning goals.
- Over 900 individual teens visited the Teen Center with a total annual attendance of 8500 visits
- Redwood City Patch: City Council Recognizes Latest Welcoming Star Award Recipients. January 2017
- Climate Magazine: North Fair Oaks Library Receive iPads. July 2016
- San Jose Mercury News: New Library Function - Career Online High School. June 29, 2016
- Climate Magazine: Library Celebrates 150 Years, June 2016
- Redwood City-Woodside Patch: Redwood City Library Offers Free Accredited High School Diplomas, June 17, 2016
- Climate Magazine: READ! If You Can, Teach!, February 2016
- Spectrum Magazine: From Books to Gardening: LaBerge to Retire This Month, June 2015
- Peninsula Television: Redwood City Library - A 5-Star Library, April 2015
- Peninsula Television: Pen Voice 176 - Library Director Derek Wolfgram, April 6, 2015
- Good Morning America: Teenager's Mission to Improve Literacy in His Community, July 22, 2015