Partnership Academy for Community Teamwork
(PACT) - 2012
Registration for PACT 2012 is now closed. Read below for more information on the program, and click here if you'd like to be notified of registration for the 2013 program.
Redwood City's Partnership Academy for Community Teamwork
(PACT) is a dynamic six-week academy that engages community
members in a hands-on overview of City government, and provide
the tools and knowledge to help strengthen their community. One evening a week, participants will be involved in activities
that illustrate City operations, from Public Works Services
to the Police Department, from the City Council to the Finance
Department, from the Fire Department to the Library…and
everything in between! The 2012 session will take place each Wednesday evening from September 12 through October 17. Graduation from the program takes place at the Council meeting the evening of Monday, October 22.
There is a $25 fee for each participant in PACT (payable at the first session). This small contribution will help to offset the costs of the program, including materials and food. As you may know, the City's budget situation continues to be very difficult, as we struggle with fewer resources to provide needed services to the community, so your understanding is appreciated. If this fee is a true obstacle to your participation, please let us know and we'll work on a way to assist.
The objectives of PACT are to involve and engage people
in learning about and understanding the operation of City
government, and to improve communication between the City
and those who live and work here in order to strengthen and
enhance our entire community. You'll learn how decisions are
made, how City funds are allocated, and how City departments
operate with each other, and get an opportunity to sit down
with staff, managers, and City Council members for frank discussion
of issues, projects, politics, and plans for shaping the future
of our community.
Here are just a few comments from some of the over 400 people who have been through Redwood City's PACT program so far:
- "I wish private enterprises would run more like the City"
- "I'm amazed at how much I took for granted, in what the City does"
- "I didn't realize what it takes to run the City's services – and how enthusiastic the employees are"
- "This program helped to broaden my perspective"
- "It made me proud to live here – I feel like it's not just a city, it's MY city"
- "For the first time since I've lived here, when I leave work I now feel like I'm coming home"
- "It was great to see the level of professionalism in all the presentations"
- "I feel proud that the City opened its doors to all the departments, and answered any and all questions openly and honestly – it was very impressive"
Call 780-7300 for more information.
In order to provide the best possible program
for the Redwood City community, we are limiting the number
of participants to no more than 40 per class. High-school students are encouraged to participate!
Thank you for your interest in learning about Redwood City,
and in being a part of PACT.
Redwood City PACT
Build a Great Community Together