Whether your needs are full-time on-site technical support, single application development, process analysis and improvement through technology, or special project management and consulting, Redwood City’s Information Technology may have the experience and expertise you are seeking.
Being a municipality, we know and understand what a public agency’s needs are. We fully support our own City’s 13 departments and seven member City Council as well as several other cities along the Peninsula.
Standardization among our clients is key to allowing us to implement technologies where we have experienced reliance, expertise from the long-term exposure, as well as buying power from continuous purchasing of similar technologies. It also allows staff to backfill during absences so that our clients have contiguous support.
We strongly support the area’s efforts in regionalization and collaborative computing to reduce redundancies and lower costs to the individual agencies.
Redwood City Profile:
Redwood City is a full service City with the following departments, all fully supported by the Information Technology Division with some of the IT services listed:
- City Manager: City’s website, citizen complaint tracking, surveys, i-Nets, and public newsletters.
- City Clerk: document management, Boards and Commission tracking, and City Council meeting streaming and archiving.
- City Attorney: workstation maintenance, contract management
system, and document security.
- Finance: financial system development and maintenance, utility billing, business license, PERS reporting, budget system, and payroll.
- Police: dispatch, records management, mobile computing, evidence tracking, LawNet, CLETS, and surveillance security.
- Fire: mobile computing, mobile GIS, and records management.
- Library: staff email, file sharing, document management, network support, and workstation support for both public and staff use.
- Public Works Services: water allocation programs, work order system, GIS, water metering, tree maintenance, street cleaning calendar, and the fleet management system.
- Parks and Recreation: the work order system, event calendar, and public newsletters.
- Building, Infrastructure & Transportation: permitting, code enforcement, GIS, and document management.
- Planning, Housing & Economic Development: Technologies supported by IT includes GIS.
- Human Resources: surveys, benefit enrollment, charity enrollment, personal action forms (PAF), and the learning management system.
Information Technology Profile:
Redwood City Information Technology (IT) is a Division of the Finance Department. It is comprised of 14 full time employees with a wide range of expertise. Redwood City IT has been contracting out its staff to other municipalities and not-for-profit agencies for over two decades.
The types of services IT offers range from desktop support to developing and supporting financial systems to network design and management to WEB application development. IT can and does support all departments in a city including public safety (Police and Fire).
IT is divided into three functional groups, Electronic Data Management (EDM), Software Development (DEV), and World Wide Web Development (WEB).
EDM’s expertise is in the design and management of an agency’s technology infrastructure, including, but not limited to: wide area networking (WAN); local area networking (LAN); system security; desktop support; disaster recovery and business resumption; virtualization for a greener, more energy efficient environment; departmental and enterprise-wide application support; and telephone system design, implementation and support including Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP).
DEV’s expertise is in the development and management of single user, department-wide and enterprise-wide software applications.
WEB’s expertise is in developing and managing e-government solutions and applications including Internet and Intranet web sites.
Some Past and Current Clients:
- City of Burlingame
- City of East Palo Alto
- Town of Atherton
- Woodside Fire District
- Redwood City Child Development Program
- Family Services Agency
- Colma Fire Protection District
- Town of Los Altos Hills
- City of San Bruno
- Menlo Park Fired District
- Ombudsman Services of San Mateo
- Bay Area Water Supply and Conservation Agency
- South Bay Waste Management Authority
- Port of Redwood City
- HIP Housing
- Shelter Network
- Menlo Park Fire District
- City of La Quinta
- Redwood City School District
- City of Saratoga
- Community Education Center
- International Institute of the Bay Area
Information Technology Supported Technologies:
(not all inclusive)
- Disaster Recovery and Business Resumption
- Municipal Financial Systems
- Unified Messaging
- Water Conservation
- Backflow Assembly Management
- GIS (ESRI, MapGuide)
- LaserFiche Document Management
- Enterprise Anti-Virus
- Backup (tape, disk-to-disk)
- Microsoft Exchange (all versions)
- Shavlik Patch Management
- Microsoft Office (all versions)
- Spam filtering appliances
- CRW Permitting
- Safari Class and facility registration
- Facility Maintenance Systems
- City Council Meeting Streaming Over the Internet
- Tree Management
- Wi-Fi Parking Meters
- Internet Site Redesign Project Management
- Intranet Site Design and Redesign
- Police Mobile Computing
- VoIP (design, implementation, administration)
- Windows Active Directory
- Design, Optimizing, and Monitoring for proactive administration
- Web Filtering
- Remote Client Administration
- Server Virtualization
- Dell (servers and workstations)
- Surveillance Cameras
- HP (servers, tape drives, workstations)
- Storage Area Network (SAN)
- Blackberry Enterprise
- UPS and Datacenter management
- Network Multi-function devices (copiers, scanners)
- Cell phone plan administration and optimization
- Smart Phones
Database Development, Administration, and Support
- SQL Server
- Microsoft Access
- Visual Studio
- Team Foundation Server
- PICK Basic
- Windows Forms
- Microsoft Office Automation
- Windows - all versions of Server and Desktop
- IIS, including Website and Application Hosting
Contacting Information Technology
Redwood City IT can be reached at (650) 780-7090 or by emailing ITManager@redwoodcity.org.