Archived News Release from 2006
For Immediate Release
Veterans Memorial Senior Center Activities for March, 2006
Redwood City, CA - February 21, 2006
- The Veterans Memorial Senior Center, 1455 Madison Avenue, Redwood City, will be providing many great activities during the month of March. These activities are open to the public.
- Free Tax Preparation Services for Seniors, Wednesdays only, through April 12, by appointment. This program is sponsored by AARP (American Association of Retired Persons). For more information or to schedule a tax appointment, please call 780-7264.
- “How to Benefit from Mother Nature’s Medicine Chest” Free Lecture, Wednesday, March 1, 10:30 am Guest speaker is David Stouder, owner of Apple Health Foods in Redwood City. He is the host of “The Vitamin Shelf,” a weekly health talk radio program that interviews doctors, scientists, herbalists, and nutritionists (KEST 1450 AM, 7:00 am on Thursdays, and KNEW 910 AM, 9:00 pm on Sundays.)
- Hollywood Hats, Friday March 3, 1 pm, Theater. Join us for a unique and entertaining show about Hollywood, its great stars, and their movies. The program will feature songs, stories and legends brought to life through a collection of vintage Hollywood hats actually worn by such stars as Katherine Hepburn, Rita Hayworth, Greta Garbo, Gloria Swanson, and more. Cost is $4.00
- St. Patrick’s Day Party, Friday, March 17, 12 noon to 2 pm, Redwood Room. Join the Veterans Memorial Senior Center for a “Lunch and A Bit of the Blarney.” The celebration includes Irish music and dance, Songbirds Choir, and an Irish Sing-Along. Menu: Corned Beef and Cabbage, Potatoes and Carrots, and a special dessert. Cost is $8.00.
- Community Services Musical Theatre Trips. All shows take place at the American Musical Theatre of San Jose. The cost is $65 per person which includes round-trip transportation using our City Vans and Orchestra Seating. For more information about these trips, please contact Michele Venneri at (650) 780-7344. Friday, March 31st - Gypsy; Saturday, June 17th – Hairspray.
- ARAP Showcase, Friday, March 24th 8 - 9 pm: Redwood City Accessible Recreation Activities Program (ARAP) presents its Second Annual SHOWCASE EVENT! Join us for an evening of celebration as we honor all of our participants in various ARAP programs. Evening will consist of light appetizers, beverages and the premier of the ARAP Drama Club Movie Musical! Donations are welcomed and copies of the ARAP Movies will be available for purchase! Please come and support the participants and the program!
- Music Therapy Program ARAP is pleased to offer a new program specialized for children and teens with special needs. Music Therapy groups will feature small sessions based on age and ability, supportive social and emotional experience and a variety of activities including singing, dong writing, drumming, piano, movement and music improvisation. Cost & times may vary per month. Class is instructed by Beth Robinson, a Board Certified Music Therapist. For more information about this program, please contact Beth at (415) 637-7281.
- For more information about Accessible Recreation Activities, call 780-7313 or 780-7344, or visit our website at www.redwoodcity.org. ARAP is designed to serve teens and adults with physical and / or developmental disabilities from all over the Bay Area. All events are held at the Veterans Memorial Senior Center in Redwood City unless otherwise stated. To learn more about the Veterans Memorial Senior Center, call 780-7270.
Redwood City Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department provides recreational facilities and activities for all ages and interests, and supplies building and custodial services for City buildings. Redwood City Parks also operates the Veterans Memorial Senior Center and the Fair Oaks Community Center, providing social, educational, and cultural activities, as well as information, referral, and counseling services to persons living in Redwood City and neighboring communities. Redwood City Parks is more than you think! Its website is located at www.redwoodcity.org/parks.
Visit Redwood City’s award-winning website at www.redwoodcity.org for information about the City and its services, the community, recreation programs, education, City government, and local business. Subscribe to Redwood City’s email newsletter by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Senior Services Coordinator