Archived News Release from 2006
For Immediate Release
Veterans Memorial Senior Center Activities for April, 2006
Redwood City, CA - April 28 , 2006
- “Choices for Independence” is the theme of this year’s Older Americans Month in May. Members of the community and their families are invited to learn about the services provided for mid-life and older adults at the Veterans Memorial Senior Center, 1455 Madison Avenue, Redwood City, and to participate in the programs scheduled for May:
- “Nutrition” Lecture, Wednesday, May 3, 10:30 a.m., Goldstar Room, No Charge. Cathy Hazlewood, Registered Dietitian at Mills-Peninsula, is our guest speaker.
- “Proposition 60 and 90,” Lecture, Thursday, May 18, 10:30 a.m., Sunset Room, No Charge. Terry Flinn, Deputy Assessor-County Clerk-Recorder will speak about these two propositions that allow persons over the age of 55 to qualify for property tax savings when they sell their principal home and buy a replacement residence of the same or lower value.
- “Reverse Mortgages” Lecture, Wednesday, May 24, 10:30 a.m., Goldstar Room. Tricia Smith, Reverse Mortgage Counselor from Human Investment Project (HIP) will answer all your questions about the pros and cons of reverse mortgages. HIP is the only agency in San Mateo County that is certified by HUD and AARP to provide reverse mortgage counseling.
- “Wills and Trusts, Power of Attorney, and Advance Health Care Directives” Lecture, Thursday, May 25, 10:30 a.m., Sunset Room. Elsa Torres and Aldo Ibarra from La Raza Centro Legal will also provide information about Social Security, SSI, Medicare, Medi-Cal and other Federal, State, and County benefits. La Raza is a non-profit agency that provides free legal assistance on specific matters to Redwood City seniors.
To learn more about the Veterans Memorial Senior Center, call 780-7270.
Redwood City Parks, Recreation and Community Services Department provides recreational facilities and activities for all ages and interests, and supplies building and custodial services for City buildings. Redwood City Parks also operates the Veterans Memorial Senior Center and the Fair Oaks Community Center, providing social, educational, and cultural activities, as well as information, referral, and counseling services to persons living in Redwood City and neighboring communities. Redwood City Parks is more than you think! Its website is located at www.redwoodcity.org/parks.
Visit Redwood City’s award-winning website at www.redwoodcity.org for information about the City and its services, the community, recreation programs, education, City government, and local business. Subscribe to Redwood City’s email newsletter by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Senior Services Coordinator