Archived News Release from 2007
For Immediate Release
Redwood City Presents the 2nd Annual
Our Town – Downtown Community Celebration on September 22nd
Redwood City, CA - September 5, 2007 - Join the fun as Redwood City hosts the second annual free Community Celebration, Our Town – Downtown, on Saturday, September 22nd. It’s a festive, fun-filled day of great activities, music and entertainment, food, beverages, and a wonderful time for the entire family from noon until 8 pm. Get more information at www.redwoodcity.org/ourtown-downtown.
Live music on five stages spread throughout downtown will keep Redwood City rocking all day long!
- Courthouse Square Stage with Free Dance lessons! Theatre Way Stage sponsored by radio station KOIT
- Songwriters’ Stage with a variety of performers presented by the West Coast Songwriters
- Main Street Stage with fabulous Youth Bands
- Family Stage featuring great acts for kids and adults
- Also, music at the Little Fox
Not-to -be-missed family activities include:
- The wacky “Your Pet’s Got Talent” contest
- Hands-on arts and crafts projects by Redwood City Parks and Recreation
- Chalk art
- Plane and helicopter display for up-close viewing provided by The Hiller Aviation Museum
- Bounce house
- Professional skateboarder demonstrations and skateboard obstacle course for kids
Fun and culture abounds throughout Downtown:
- A “CarTown DownTown” - Classic Car Showcase with 100 cars on Broadway
- An Antique Car display
- City and community information booths
- Local restaurants, wineries, and microbreweries offering their delicious fares
- Art on the Square - 31 artisans exhibiting and selling their crafts on Hamilton
The San Mateo County History Museum will enthrall you with:
- Historical displays
- Family activities - m ake your own flags, rag dolls, train models, masks, and more
- A fun historical play entitled Broads, Bootleggers and Bookies
- Courtroom reenactments
- History Lane
Much of the event takes place on Broadway between Middlefield and Hamilton, as well as on Courthouse Square, the new “living room” of the community, and on the beautiful new Theatre Way.
With its retail shops and restaurants complete with outdoor dining, Theatre Way is a great place to eat, drink, shop, stroll, and meet up with friends and family. Theatre Way and parts of Broadway will be pedestrian-only, making this a family-friendly event not to miss! Downtown Redwood City has a lively and active music, theater, dining, and shopping scene, and is truly the heart of the community and is quickly becoming the entertainment hub of the entire Peninsula. Plus, you can take the train! Redwood City’s Caltrain station is just a short walk from Downtown. Join the fun at the 2nd annual Our Town – Downtown - and celebrate!
Our Town-Downtown is sponsored by the City of Redwood City, KOIT, TV20, the San Jose Mercury News, and the San Mateo County Times. For more information please call the event hotline at 831-457-1141 or 650-780-7563 or go to www.redwoodcity.org/ourtown-downtown.
Visit Redwood City’s award-winning website at www.redwoodcity.org for information about the City and its services, the community, recreation programs, education, City government, and local business. Take a look at the variety of City webcams at redwoodcity.org/webcam, and subscribe to Redwood City’s email newsletter or other documents by visiting www.redwoodcity.org/egov.
Public Communications Manager