Archived News Release from 2007
For Immediate Release
Community Invited to Join Redwood City’s 2007 Martin Luther King Commemoration, Focused on Joining Youth with Ideals of Equality and Justice
Redwood City, CA - January 16 , 2007 - Redwood City’s 22nd Annual Martin Luther King, Jr. Commemoration brings together our community’s most important members – our youth – to help carry forward Dr. King’s legacy of seeking equality among all people, to bridge cultural differences, and to celebrate the bountiful diversity of our community.
The event is this Friday, January 19th, 2007 from 4 - 6:30 pm at Veterans Memorial Senior Center, 1455 Madison Avenue, Redwood City. This year’s commemoration is sponsored by San Mateo Credit Union and presented by the Redwood City Martin Luther King, Jr. Celebration Committee.
Youth from Redwood City, Menlo Park, and East Palo Alto will be gathering for this wonderful celebration, which features:
- A remarkable one-woman theatre performance by Awele Makeba, “I’m Not Getting On, Until Jim Crow Gets Off”, an interactive performance about teen and women activists in the Montgomery Bus Boycott;
- Youth arts and crafts, the “Truth Booth;”
- Interactive youth workshop led by Awele;
- Fascinating discussion groups incorporating veterans of the Civil Rights Movement;
- Poetry groups and Rap groups;
- Poetry reading by poetess Kalamu Chache, reciting her latest poem in honor of Dr. King;
- Closing Celebration bringing together music, poetry, art, and reflections from the afternoon to close the event and remind our community of the ongoing need to bring his ideals to life in today’s society.
The entire community is invited and encouraged to attend and participate in this important remembrance of Dr. King’s teachings. More information on 2007 Martin Luther King Jr. Commemoration is available by calling 650-780-7510.
Visit Redwood City’s award-winning website at www.redwoodcity.org for information about the City and its services, the community, recreation programs, education, and local business. Take a look at the variety of City webcams at redwoodcity.org/webcam, and subscribe to Redwood City’s email newsletter by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Human Services Manager