Environmental Review Process
A Notice of Preparation (NOP) was issued for the proposed Saltworks Project Environmental Impact Report (EIR) by Redwood City’s Planning, Housing, and Economic Development Department on October 12, 2010. Release of the NOP officially started the public scoping process that allows the public and agencies to learn more about the many aspects of the proposed project, provide comments, suggest alternatives, suggest technical studies and allow the applicant to provide additional information.
The NOP is required under the California Environmental Quality Act (CEQA) and provides a preliminary project description that was included in the application submitted to the Redwood City Planning, Housing, and Economic Development Department by the project applicant in May 2009. The document also includes the location of the project, the most important environmental issues and the probable environmental effects of the project. Click here to view a copy of the NOP.
A series of Scoping Meetings was held, the Scoping Period closed March 31, 2011 and a Scoping Report was issued on August 19, 2011. The purpose of scoping is to help identify the range of alternatives, environmental effects, methods of assessment, and mitigation measures to be analyzed in the EIR. The meetings provided information about the project and an opportunity for comment on the content of the EIR. The list of Scoping Meetings that were held is as follows:
- Scoping Meeting held before the Planning Commission (oral comments) – Tuesday, October 19, 2010 starting at 7 PM. Location: Council Chambers, City Hall, 1017 Middlefield Road, Redwood City
- Informational Scoping Meeting focused on Land Use & Housing (written comments only) – Saturday, November 6, 2010 from 9 AM to 1 PM. Location: Veterans Memorial Senior Center, 1455 Madison Avenue, Redwood City. Meeting Handout (pdf).
- Informational Scoping Meeting focused on Water Supply, Wastewater, & Flooding (written comments only) – Tuesday, November 30, 2010 from 6:30 PM to 9 PM.
Location: Sandpiper Community Center, 797 Redwood Shores Parkway, Redwood City.
- Informational Scoping Meeting focused on Natural Resources (written comments only) – Saturday, January 29, 2011 from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Location: Community Activities Building, 1400 Roosevelt Avenue, Redwood City.
- Informational Scoping Meeting focused on Transportation (written comments only) – Wednesday, February 23, 2011 from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Location: Veterans Memorial Senior Center, 1455 Madison Avenue, Redwood City.
The City will not make a decision regarding the Saltworks Project application until the environmental review process has been completed and the EIR has been certified.
Please plan on attending upcoming meetings to help you maximize your input and involvement in the proposal’s review process.
As a means of keeping the public informed about the proposal, the City will produce regular Project Updates. The updates will provide details about the review process, tentative timelines for meetings, and information to help the public understand the CEQA process so that they may participate in an informed and effective way.