Calendar · Newsletters · Events  
About the City Business Government Residents Departments Online Services
Police Department Redwood City, California
     Home » Police Department » About Us » History


About Us

   · History
   · Memorial Page
   · Area Map
 

Welcome Message

Divisions

Information

Community

Volunteer

FAQ

Contact Us

Report Crime Online

Pay Parking Tickets

Crime Reports


History

Serving and Protecting Redwood City since 1878

Photo of OfficersRedwood City was incorporated in 1867. A Town Marshal first provided police protection. The Marshal was an elected position. Support for the Marshal came from the Sheriff’s Office. Years later the position of Town Marshal was changed to Police Chief. In 1913 a second position was created.

The Marshals or police chiefs occupied various shared spaces until their own building was built in 1957. Prior locations include City Hall, the Manual Arts building of the old Sequoia High School, and the original County Jailhouse.

Today the Redwood City Police Department has a total of 94 total sworn officers and numerous support staff. The department is currently in its second building, which they moved into in 1993

The following persons have served as Marshals or Police Chiefs for the City of Redwood City:

History of Chiefs

 

 

CareersCalendarContact UsSitemapFollow Us  

Logo © Copyright 1996-2012 City of Redwood City
Terms of Service | General Comments/Suggestions | Website Comments/Suggestions
City Hall, 1017 Middlefield Road, Redwood City, 94063
Unless otherwise noted, all phone numbers are in area code 650.